Financial matters

What costs do you need to think about when you start studying? We will give you an overview so you can prepare yourself financially.

There is of course the tuition fee, but you also need books, you go on excursions during your study programme and you will need accommodation and insurance as an international student.

Tuition fee

Every EU student who enrolls in one of the English-taught bachelor programmes pays the same tuition fee as a Dutch student. The tuition fees for EU students for the academic year 2024-2025 are € 2.530,00. 

The tuition fees for non-EU students (excluding students from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, and Switzerland) for the academic year 2024-2025 are € 10.080,00.  

The deadline for paying the tuition fee is 1 May for non-EU students and 1 July for EU students. You can pay the fee at once or in instalments. 

Other study costs

To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, nationals from most Non-EU countries need an entry visa, and, once in the Netherlands, a residence permit is often required. A Dutch visa costs about €80,00 and a residence permit for the Netherlands about €210.  

Next to the tuition fee, and maybe a visa and residence permit, you also have costs for your bachelor study programme. They involve costs for required literature and excursions. The costs can differ per study programme. Check out the information for new students for the bachelor programme of your choice to get an indication of the costs for the first year. 

Bachelors and more

Financing your studies


For information about possible scholarships available for international students, please visit 

Student loan

EU and EER students have the possibility to apply for a student loan from the Dutch government. More information on this subject and other financing possibilities is available at the website of DUO. 

Student job

A way to (partly) finance your studies in the Netherlands is to get a student job. It will be an advantage if you are able to speak the Dutch language when finding a part-time job. Please note that once you take on a student job you need to get the Dutch basic healthcare insurance. More information about health care insurance can be found on the website of Study in Holland. 

As a citizen of a European Union member state you are allowed to work unlimitedly in the Netherlands. Non-EU students who wish to get a student job need a work permit (TWV). Your employer needs to apply for this permit on your behalf. Non-EU students can choose between working for a maximum of 16 hours per week or a full-time summer job during June, July and August. It’s not allowed to do both. 

More information on this subject is available at the Study in Holland website.

Living expenses

These costs include food, public transportation, clothes, housing and insurance. The rent of a room varies between 350 euro – 600 euro per month. Another third of your income will go to food. You can eat in pubs, but the cheapest way is to cook yourself or together with roommates. The remaining third of your expenses will go towards insurances, travel and leisure. 

More information about daily expenses can be found on the website of Study in Holland. 

Also, check out the information for new students to find out more about the type of insurance you need during your stay in the Netherlands. 

Student discounts

As a student in the Netherlands you can get discounts at various bars, restaurants, hairdressers, museums and cinemas. Students of HAS green academy can also sport at Sportiom with a student discount. You will need to show your student card to get the discount. You will receive a digital student card in September. 

Questions about tuintion fees, visa or residence permit?